The Theme for our semester long blog is "Spirits" the drinking type.

Welcome to our blog. In this semester long blog we will share our opinions on how "Spirits" (Beer, Alcohol) have evolved thru the past, present and future, including views on the impact on Society, a Cultural view, and the Scientific perspective. We hope that you will enjoy our blog.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Growing Economy



The city of Pottsville, Pa. is home to the Yuengling Brewery, opened in 1829 by David G. Yuengling. The Brewery was the biggest operation in the town and put Pottsville on the map. Today it remains the oldest operating brewery in the United States and is still owned by the same family.

3 comments:

  1. I love Yuengling. I especially like the fact that a local brewery is the oldest in the country. I saw on their site that the original factory burned down and a new one was built in 1831 and that facility is still in use today. I am glad such an old brewery was able to survive the prohibition era. It would have been a shame if such a national treasure would have been lost by an amendment that was later repealed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting fact I didnt know. Being a fellow Yuengling drinker I can appreciate any information regarding one of the best beers around. I wonder if they have tours of the brewery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that Yuengling has been around for a long time but I never knew it as the oldest operating brewery in the US. I don’t drink beer but I love anything that is from Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete